Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Innocent Guilty Pleasures



Some times I get teased by my significant other about the the YouTube channels that I subscribe to, and they do not have anything to with inappropriate subjects. Of course I get teased about The Big Bang Theory, Nerdist News, and other geek related topics, but then there are the cooking channels. I say if you want to cook like another culture then cooking channels from these countries would not be a bad idea, especially the French ones (no offense to Jamie Oliver, the naked Chef). 

  For the last couple of years I have been watching Bruno Albouze make things that even Julia Child did not bother to write about and was done in a way that encouraged locally used vegetables (the only thing missing was pep talk about local sustainability to have me drooling even more). The cute-and-he-knows-it personal chef from France has done a professional job of creating interesting and humorous cooking shows for the modern foodie. Usually it just looks like a bored guy in his kitchen who is trying to be funny or a corny kind of suave that parallels the scenario typical idea of what a Frenchman is. Yes he has a cute accent, no he never has and never will be ugly, yes he stays fit with food from his own garden, and has a couple of episodes where he shows you the quaintness of a French outdoors market with his family. Even Martha Stewart would not mind to take a minute and to see this man at work (not sure if I like the man at work thing as much as I like the concept of his flour-less brownies). Also he got me hooked in the early years of his show when he would dress up like Indiana Jones with a pepper mill....I am the only girl in Texas who owns in Indiana Jones hat. 

  He inspires me to try and make hard to make dishes that he makes to look easy (he does use a gas stove while I struggle with electric), and not every meal has to only come from the touch of a microwave button. As of this morning he has found my one weak spot, ravioli. I have not sat down and figured out the art of simply wrapping up goo inside of dough in a way that does not make soup when submerged into boiling water. I can make the best fresh pasta in town...just not with filling in the middle. Then this morning I saw the latest video upload: red/green/yellow striped ravioli. I now have a much better plan when I do decide to tackle this masterpiece in culinary art. Think I will use spinach instead, not a big fan of kale, but then I am not very good a blanching greens...must watch more Bruno.

http://www.brunoskitchen.net/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAxqzVxfBgw

Share with people you know!
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/biggonsforyou
Instagram: sasseleigh
twitter: @BIGGONSanything
Etsy: BIGGONSanything
Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/bigintheusa

No comments:

Post a Comment